RS Components Upgrades DesignSpark Mechanical 3D CAD Modelling Software with New Features & Functionality
July 21, 2020
RS Components (RS), a trading brand of Electrocomponents plc, has unveiled the latest version of DesignSpark Mechanical, its free 3D CAD modelling software. Based on direct user feedback, DesignSpark Mechanical Version 5.0 offers new features, enhancements and customization options that have been developed following feedback from users. The new release coincides also with the 10-year anniversary of DesignSpark, RS Components’ global online engineering community.
Developed in conjunction with Ansys Inc., the leading provider of flexible and affordable 3D modelling software for engineers, DesignSpark Mechanical uses direct modelling technology rather than the parametric methods used by traditional CAD software, enabling users to rapidly prototype or reverse engineer any physical object. Key features of DesignSpark Mechanical Version 5.0 are outlined in this video and include:
- Equations tool – sketch complex curves
- Constraint-based sketching and dedicated 3D sketch mode
- Measure tab with geometry analysis and quality check tools
- Custom views, saving new perspectives of a design for quick access
- Custom rendering – adjust faceting per-body or full design to achieve better surface finish and optimise for better performance on hardware
- Customizable shortcuts – access any tool in DSM with one click
- Enhanced shading – display objects with shading when exposed to ambient lighting like in real life
- Flythrough camera mode
DesignSpark Mechanical also features built-in help text, quick-guide tutorials, example designs, and access to a 3D catalog of tens of thousands of 3D models from leading component manufacturers.
“Since first launching DesignSpark Mechanical in 2013 we have been committed to providing engineers with free resources that enable them to rapidly develop prototypes in the product concept design stage,” said Mike Bray, Group VP of Innovation and DesignSpark. “This latest upgrade further enhances the software and provides an even better user experience that reflects the changing needs of engineers.”
Version 5.0 of DesignSpark Mechanical is available to download for free personal and commercial use at: www.designspark.com/mechanical.